Saturday, March 5, 2011

February, A Rearview Mirror Glance

The year 2011 started off well for me in the reading department.  In January I read nine books and I thought that at that rate my reading numbers would only grow.  In February, my reading mojo all but came to a halt for some reason even though I didn't return to work until the 11th.  Yeah, I wasted ten glorious days where I was feeling much better, starting to get back into the swing of things, and I hardly read ten pages.  Way to go, Amy...

I could blame the second half of the month's failure to amp up my numbers on the recent purchase of the Nook, but really, I'm only fooling myself.  That, and the fact that I've had Veronica for just over a week.  I'm too easily distracted some days!  Earlier this week I had a glorious time picking up a few freebie NookBooks from Barnes and Noble, as well as two more purchases (honestly, they were steals!).  Seriously, I could not ignore the early-purchase sale of $2.99 for Sins of the House of Borgia by Sarah Bower.  It officially hit the shelves Tuesday, but I capitalized on that price the night before.  Romantic Times Magazine featured a 4 1/2 star review for it in their March issue, and it sounds right up my alley.  Plus, with the debut of the Showtime series, The Borgias, on April 3rd, I greatly look forward to getting my history thang on (and Jeremy Irons!).  I am still in mourning for The Tudors and Jonathan Rhys Meyers in all his naked sexy butt glory.  Hubba hubba, indeed.

Call Me Irresistible -- Susan Elizabeth Phillips/A

In February, probably my best read.  Although it's considered part of her Wynette, Texas series, I easily read it without having read a few of the others.  I think, of those, I've read Glitter Baby, First Lady and still have the rest in Mt. TBR, including an original copy of Fancy Pants which was actually reprinted in December '10).  Call Me Irresistible is Ted Beaudine's story, and at first I had a smidge of a hard time liking him because he was so, literally, perfect.  Reading Meg Koranda's (fans will recognize the Koranda name from Glitter Baby - her parents' story) observations and thoughts on the perfection of Ted had me giggling like a mental patient several times throughout the book.  Seriously, I've got some catching up to do in reviews for the blog, and this one is on the list.

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares -- Rachel Cohn and David Liviathin/A-

I finally finished it up and have to say my favorite part of this YA book was the dialogue, both internal and external.  If boys spoke like Dash back when I was a teen, I would've fallen in love every day.  The ending is a bit abrupt, and I have to wonder if there's more in store for these two kids.  But, you know, it worked.  It left me writing my own future scenarios for Dash and Lily.  I loved the set-up where they meet after Dash finds Lily's moleskin journal on the shelves of the Strand in NYC, and from there it's a game of Can You Top This? as they get to know each other through journal entries and outrageous hide-and-go-seek antics.  Seriously, loved it and now I have to find the other books that Cohn and Liviathin collaborated on.

Goddess of Legend -- P.C. Cast/B-

I reviewed Goddess of Legend by P.C. Cast for Romance Reviews Today, and while it wasn't my favorite in the author's Goddess Summoning series, I liked it.  My review should be posted over at RRT soon.  I liked the mash-up of Celtic mythology with Arthurian legend and Isabel's trip back in time to Camelot.  I didn't totally believe the romantic connection between Isabel and Arthur, but it didn't ruin the book for me.

Stealing Heaven -- Kimberly Cates/B+

And the last one that I can truly count for February's short list is Stealing Heaven by Kimberly Cates, which I read for the 2011 TBR Challenge.  Review is here.  This book was a perfect reaffirmation of why I fell in love with romance fiction years ago, and even though I took breaks here and there over the past 20 + years, I still kept coming back to it.

February wasn't a total loss even though my numbers sucked.  I actually read some quality books, just very slowly.  I'm crossing my fingers March is better in terms of quantity.  I've already got a short stack of winners going on right now, both in reviews for RRT and 'fun' books.  And, I did forget to mention -- I won a hardback copy of River Marked by Patricia Briggs from Kmont in late February.  I turned into a squeeing fangirl for Briggs last year after devouring the entire series, so this was a serious win-win for me.  Heeeeee!         

       

         

No comments: