Wednesday, January 21, 2009

First Book of the Challenge(s)!


Review: Strokes of Midnight by Hope Tarr

STROKES OF MIDNIGHT is actually the inaugural review of the two challenges I've joined for '09; fitting since my country is celebrating (still) the new President of the United States. Why I felt compelled to compare this review to January 20th, 2009, I'll never know. But it should stand for something, right?

From the blurb:

Becky's New Year's Resolutions:

1. Hit the NYT bestseller list with latest novel
2. Find a great guy and start living a perfect life
3. Try to stay in her own bed!

When author Becky Stone's horoscope predicted that the New Year would bring her great things, she never expected the first thing she'd experience would be great sex! But after the crushing news that the only way to save her career is to coauthor a book with chauvinistic Adam Maxwell, Becky needs something to go right. And what could be more right than spending an incredible New Year's Eve in the arms of a seriously sexy stranger?

Only, the man in her bed isn't going to be a stranger much longer...


It's funny -- I've reviewed books for a certain website for several years, and now that this is my first informal review for reading challenges, I'm nervous! Not of what people will think of my opinions (I've been going against the grain for years), but that I do it right. It should come as a no-brainer that I'd enjoy STROKES -- part of theWrong Bed series, featuring authors (which is a dream job for me), and sexiness to boot. Yes, this book is sexy!

What worked for me, once I realized where Becky Stone's New Year was headed when she realized the bad news her agent would impart, was that she never gave up. She didn't particularly savor working with a partner on a new book, but she was willing to give it a shot. Especially after the night of rockin' great sex she'd had with her own modern-day hero who had helped her out on the busy streets of New York City. Another thing worth mentioning: I'm a huge fan of Pretty Woman, and one of my favorite scenes in that movie is the piano scene with Richard Gere. Hubba hubba! And, yes, Becky gets her own night to remember in this book.

I can't finish this review off without talking about Max (Adam Maxwell) a bit. It's been a year since he lost his wife to cancer, and two years since he'd had sex. The last year he'd spent with his wife were the days that will haunt him for the rest of his life, but he wouldn't change it for the world. So, it goes without saying that Max is not looking for someone to take her place. Becky, however, fills a niche in his life and soul and makes him a better person on a totally different level. It's hard for me to imagine creating a hero so complete within such a short page limit, but Hope Tarr made this guy one to remember.

STROKES OF MIDNIGHT was a great way to start off my 2009 reading challenges.

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

I read this one last year and really enjoyed it. Great review!