Friday, December 31, 2010

Looking Forward to a Better Year

I'm going to try that random stream of thought kinda post...so just bear with me...

So, that last post I did - the one with the Charlie Brown clip? - yeah, well, I didn't know that would be the day before I'd go to work the next night, end up nearly collapsing, and being rushed to emergency surgery.  But more on that in a bit...

This being the last day of 2010, I've got to say that I had a pretty damned good year.  I'm healthy, I'm alive (thanks to my co-workers at the local medical center I work for), I have a man whom I'm over the moon about, and hell, we even got married.  And then the last half of December turned into a shitstorm and came completely crashing down around my feet.

All I have to say is this -- while we did pretty well this year, I'm looking for 2011 to be a new start for me, a better year for John, and one that I'm actually able to pause every day and just thank God that I'm alive.  There is the other alternative, the one where I wouldn't be here, writing up a blog post while I'm waiting for chicken to cook in the oven, counting down the last hours of the year 2010.  Yeah, I could be dead.

But I'm not trying to be morbid; I am still trying to sort things out in my head and come to terms with the fact that a helluva lot happened in the past week and a half.  My surgery was emergent because I had neglected to take care of myself and hadn't been to the doctor in way too long.  (Some sort of health professional I am...)  But that nonsense is going to stop and from here on out, I'm going to be a straight by-the-book girl and make my doctors' appts and actually keep them.  Of course, for the next month, I have to if I want to get these staples out of my gut, but you catch my meaning.

So, yeah, I'm making a resolution -- take better care of myself!  Oh yeah, and read more books.  *snort*  I have plenty of time on my hands with my leave from work to do that now...       

4 comments:

Lori said...

Oh my goodness! Very thankful that you are ok. Wishing you the healthiesst and happiest of years in 2011.

Wendy said...

Glad you're back at home now. All the ladies on our "coffee klatch" list were so worried about you - me included! With your time off from work, try not to get sucked into trashy TV and dig around in that TBR pile instead :)

CindyS said...

Holy cow! I'm so glad you are alive too! May 2011 be the healthiest year ever!

CindyS

Amy said...

Thanks, y'all! I'm trying hard to dig into the TBR and unearth some books to keep me from going crazy. House arrest for two weeks is slowly rotting my brain.

Wendy, I did wean myself off of the daytime television before I left the hospital. I started to slowly get sucked into TLC's lineup of shows like Hoarders (OMG!) and Toddlers and Tiaras.

I do a lot of pacing in the apt. and make a list of things I want and need to get done, stuff that will keep me entertained when I'm allowed to get back into more energetic housework.