Sunday, June 13, 2010

In the Kitchen - Sunday Cooking

Holly and I have been talking cooking, budgets, and menus over at her blog -- well, she's doing the blogging and I'm just commenting -- but you catch my drift.  She has inspired me to try to stick to more of a weekly menu because it's wallet-friendly, and for her larger crew that just makes sense.  For me and John, with my erratic work schedule, I can't plan out an entire week's menus, but I can for the scattering of my night's off.

This week, however, I'm on vacation and because I don't have a million dollar budget to blow on groceries (it's entirely too easy for me to spend hordes of cash at the market), I'm trying to stick to a quasi-menu.  I also love to try out new recipes, and I already plan on giving linguine carbonara a whirl, which Holly provided a recipe for. 

Today...well, today it's hot as hell here in the armpit of South Caro, so instead of grilling out, I'm modifying a recipe I saw in Woman's Day: grilled chicken with white barbeque sauce.  Instead of grilling (I may wind up using my stove-top grill - who knows?), I'll be baking these puppies and basting during the final cooking process.  It usually works well when I do regular bbq chicken wings and drumsticks in the oven, and if I do it right I get a nice crust with great color and tons of pan juices.     

Because I'm so over-the-moon about this marinade recipe (I tasted it, trust me - it's GOOD!), I'm sharing it because...well, I'm cool like that.


Serves 8

White BBQ Sauce

1 1/2 cups fat-free or light mayonnaise
1 tbsp grated lemon zest
1/4 cup EACH lemon juice and water
2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
2 tbsp whitewine Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp EACH coarse black pepper and yellow mustard
3 large cloves garlic, grated
2 tsp EACH sugar and prepared horseradish

5 lb chicken parts (wings, drumsticks, thighs and quartered breasts)

1. Whisk together ingredients in a medium bowl.  Place chicken in a 2-gallon ziptop bag; add 1/2 cup sauce, seal bag and toss to coat.  Marinate chicken in refrigerator up to 2 days.  Refrigerate remaining sauce.

2. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.  Arrange hciken on baking sheet; bake 35 minutes, turning once.

3. Heat outdoor grill to medium-high heat.  Grill chicken, turning and basting frequently wiht 1/2 cup of the reserved sauce, until cooked through, about 15 minutes.

4. Transfer to a platter; serve with remaining sauce.

 

2 comments:

Holly said...

That sounds really good. I've made chicken with white bbq sauce before and I really liked it. I might have to try this one. Though I'll probably grill it since summer finally arrived here in the desert.

Amy said...

Holly, the sauce is damned good! All other white bbq sauces I've seen recipes for called for vinegar, but this one is good with the lemon juice/zest.

Heck, it's good when you use it as a dip..heh.