Monday, May 25, 2009

Remember Them

Memorial Day, for me as a kid, used to be a day off of school, a big parade, cookout at my grandparents, and usually the opening day of my hometown's local pool. Well, I'm not that young anymore. My grandparents are sadly long gone, and our version now of a cookout is stovetop grills or the George Foreman. But I have finally learned the importance, tradition and honor of Memorial Day and just what it means for our country and those who serve and died for the great United States of America. Both of my grandfathers and an uncle or two were in various branches of the military, but I don't remember those years. So maybe it took a slap in the face in the reality of a great friend of ours serving in the Middle East not once, but twice, and that reality forced home just what he does on a daily basis to protect us...or maybe I just grew up. Hell, it's probably both...

But, I'll quote Jay, that aforementioned friend who right now is stationed in Afghanistan, and say this.... "It's Memorial Day. Remember It."

To me, that sums it up...

No comments: