Thursday, September 10, 2009

Did Someone Say Amish Romance?

I did survive yesterday's cleaning frenzy and even had time for a nap afterwards. Maybe the chemical fumes got to me, eh?

While I was cruising the 'net this morning, drinking my coffee and looking up recipes for a good crockpot chili, I came across an article featuring the latest in romance fiction - Amish romances. One source even went so far as cutely titling them Bonnet Rippers. Sorry, that's just tacky, guys. The cliched phrase, not the books. Why do people feel they need to rip on romance fiction?

While my knowledge of Amish culture isn't much more than fond memories of visiting Amish country in Lancaster, PA and Sugar Creek, OH, I can't help but applaud authors for being bold enough to investigate a road less traveled. Obviously these will be of the sweetest variety in romance, but that might be a nice change of pace given that erotica and graphic novels are selling like hotcakes. It could very well be a palate cleanser.

I'm just wondering if this genre will find a foothold among readers, despite inspirational lit making a bigger splash these days. It might be worth a look-see when I go to Books-A-Million or Barnes and Noble again, just to see if they carry these books in this part of the Bible Belt. Off the top of my head, I know that Karen Harper (Maplecreek Amish trilogy), Sharon and Tom Curtis (SUNSHINE AND SHADOW), and Linda Castillo (SWORN TO SILENCE) have all written books featuring at least one Amish character. I also want to say that Linda Howard wrote one years ago, but if she did the title is escaping me.

6 comments:

Mandi said...

My walmart carries these books. I read somewhere (Katibabs maybe) awhile ago about these books and how well they do.

Not for me..but I think there is an audience.

Wendy said...

Is it wrong that I find this story amusing? Mandi, it was Katiebabs' blog and my comment there was something like, "It must be a slow news day" - because these books have been around a LONG time. There is essentially a whole subgenre devoted to Amish stories in Christian fiction publishing.

Not really for me either, but I can appreciate that they are popular. Beverly Lewis practically flew off the shelf at my old job (in the Midwest) and she circulates quite respectably here in hedonistic So. Cal. as well :)

Amy said...

Honestly, this was the first time I'd heard about it. I didn't realize that Katie had posted about it, but did note that Dear Author mentioned it. I might have to try one just to see, but it's not on my immediate To Do list. I've had Dee Henderson novels laying around here forever, and just unearthed them yesterday. She used to be the queen of inspy RS.

Sarah said...

They have all of these in my local bookstore in North Carolina, so I'd imagine that they'd have them in other area's of the bible belt. Good luck finding them!

Wendy said...

Amy: It's another instance of mainstream media recycling itself :) I can't recall who did the story a few months back, but now WSJ and whomever else has picked up on it.

I want to know what happened to Dee Henderson too! While I never read her, I heard positive feedback and she was VERY popular at The Old Job.

Erotic Horizon said...

I have read two so far and I am inlove with a whole new genre...

The romance scene is overrun with 'Bodice Rippers" to put it nicely that the true art of romance is lost...

The Amish romances are very much religious base, not down your throat type of language but it's there - and there is huge emphasis on the moral aspect of male/female relations...

It was a wonderful change for me - from the type of books I normally read, I am lucky the main protags make it to page five before they are down to business and being dirty with it...

I am looking forward to this Genre being a positive influence on an over run erotic market....

Glad you highlighted this new and upcoming area of romance...

"Bonnet Rippers" - Indeed

E.H>